Presentation College Chaguanas, as we know it today, started off as a vision of the late Canon Max Murphy, a man moved by compassion and understanding for the underprivileged youth of Caroni. Concerned for their welfare, he saw the need for some form of secondary education to be made available to them and with the permission and encouragement from the late Archbishop Finbar Ryan, a foundation was laid to pave the way to Presentation College Chaguanas. The first secondary school was established on the grounds of the parish church. At the time, it was known as the Parish School, but this name was later changed to Pamphilian High School and later still, to the College of Ss. Phillip and St James. The school was also a mixed school then. As time progressed it became clear that the school had exceeded its target of producing merely ‘educated’ citizens of Chaguanas and County Caroni. The government, having realised the wealth of potential, initiated assistance to our college in 1949. But to qualify for government funding it needed to become an all- boys school. A separate school was built for the girls (Holy Faith Convent Couva). At this time, the college was under the direction of the Catholic Board of Management of Trinidad with Mr John Burns as principal. The inevitable growth of the school population caused a strain on resources and a subsequent demand for new accommodations. This problem was solved when land was provided by Endeavour Estates, Chaguanas at minimal cost and two thirds of the capital necessary for the construction of the new building was offered by the government. The formal commissioning of the new college PCC as it is known today, was held on March 19th, 1959 by then Education and Culture Minister, Dr. Patrick Solomon. Among the dignitaries present were His Grace, the Archbishop Ryan and the then Superior General of the Presentation Brothers, Very Rev Br Abinos O’Donnel. Approximately one month after establishment, the Presentation Brothers took over operations, having been requested to do so by His Grace. In April 1959, Brothers Livinus Kelly assumed principalship and began what would be a long and memorable rule by the Presentation Brothers, which ended in 1997. However, the spirit of the Presentation Brothers continues to live on and wakes strong in the hearts and minds of proud Presentation College students.
top of page
bottom of page